Sunday 23 July 2017

Poole and Bownsea Island swim

Well, where do I start.
First John, Sally Jack, Sophie all travelled down on Friday night in the rain. Phil and Sarah came down on the Saturday. Saturday Chris came for a practice swim, the sea was rough but brilliant fun, Phil and Sarah arrived for lunch then Sally , Sophie, Jack went back in with Phil for another swim !!
 Fish and chips in the evening, perfect day!!
Day of the swim, Chris pick me up at 6 in the morning, we get to Sandbank, register, then over on the ferry to Brownsea Island. Chris know so many people that are really friendly and have done a vast amount of open water swimming.  The 4 milers go First and I must say so are going a very fast pace.

We  then hop on a boat and head towards our start. The start was very interesting.
Both Chris and I slide off the boat and head towards the start which is a rope with bouys on moored between 2 boats ! .   We hold on to the bouys  then 1 min before the start we duck under the rope and start swimming !! It was choppy and I swallowed  a lot of water, I did find it hard, but with Chris swimming along side me I felt good. I will not lie , I did find it hard and I would not have wanted to do it without Chris. We completed the swim in 62 min !  So so pleased. I was lost for words. Cancer can not take this away.
The outing finished with a picnic with everyone who had come to watch.  They had a good boat ride watching the swimmers and they looked around the island. I really appreciate the family being there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment